Sometime in your life, you may have experienced a nasty bed bug bite or two. Others may have been more unfortunate, getting bitten more or constantly suffering from them. Bed bug infestations are everywhere, so it is important to know how to get rid of them, as well as learn the most effective bed bug bites treatment which can be useful in the future for you or your family.
Everyone is different and will react to a bed bug bite differently. And because a bed bug bite mimics other insect bites, it is quite difficult to diagnose and treat. Studies show that bed bug infestations can be associated with poor home sanitation or poor personal hygiene. If we start with working on these first two items, there will be no need for bed bug bites treatment to begin with!
- The first bed bug bites treatment you need to remember is to not scratch! Yes, we know it takes a herculean effort to not scratch those itchy red spots, but scratching will do more bad than good and you run the risk of infection if the skin on the welts gets broken.
- If no bed bug bites treatment is readily available in your home, you can use some ice cubes from your freezer and place it on the affected area. The instant cooling action will provide immediate relief on the bite.
- Another easy yet effective bed bug bites treatment is bathing the bitten area with warm water and applying some cooling cream on it. You can buy over the counter creams like Hydrocortisone or other insect bite relief ointments. Oral antihistamines such as Benadryl are also an effective bed bug bites treatment and readily available in drug stores.
- Calamine lotion can also be used as an effective bed bug bites treatment. It helps remove the itchiness and reduce the swelling, providing a cooling and soothing effect on the affected area.
- Another good bed bug bites treatment is using common salt and baking soda. Make a thick paste using the mixture by adding some water. You will feel relief from the itching and pain within minutes.
- If you have some effervescent antacid at home, this can also be a great bed bug bites treatment. Just dissolve two tablets and apply the solution on the affected area using a cotton ball. Instant relief.
- In cases where your normal bed bug bites treatment do not work, injections of antihistamines, epinephrines, and corticosteroids may be administered.
Normally, bed bug bites do not require medical treatment. These easy, do-it-yourself bed bug bites treatment can relieve you of discomfort quickly and inexpensively. However, if symptoms persist, you must see a doctor especially when you are experiencing shortness of breath, wheezing, chest pains, tightness in the throat or difficulty swallowing, lip or tongue swelling, dizziness and fainting.
It is also important to note that even though there is an easy and effective bed bug bites treatment available for you anytime, nothing beats effective preventive bed bug control measures. Keep your room clean and clutter-free. Change your bed sheets and pillow cases once a week, and make sure to vacuum your floors. Keep those insecticides handy, too. Remember what people often say when tucking their kids to bed at night? Do not let the bed bugs bite!